Saturday, March 31, 2018

(March) + April OMG - BBQAL

Change in plans: I was one of the lucky winners of 3 yards of wide-back at the beginning of the month (thanks, Rachel of Stitched in Color!) and I really liked this shade, so I changed my plan a bit...   I wanted the backing to be the top, so I decided to stick with just purple squares.  The other colors will become something else, someday.
Sheree, my pretty kitty, and pretty fabrics! Bottom bit is the wide-backing.
Sunny, the big fat cat, on Elda from Mostly Manor by Victoria Findlay Wolfe.
Also, I found out my comforter is not a square.  It is slightly rectangular.  Very glad I gave myself some wiggle room:
fuzzy fuzzy maths
Another important thing that happened this month: I bought a Sizzix Pro and several dies.  I am not a big fan of cutting precise things...  Did you know that 6" squares do not play well with others?  My previously cut squares were not compatible with my new dies for 4.5" or 2.5" squares...  Hmmm.  Time to improvise.

My very first try with the machine, I had to say out-loud "You are not emotionally attached to this fabric - it is a scrap.  You do not even like nautical things like whales..."   :P

Here is my first attempt with purple fabric:
Scary that it leaves marks, but it is supposed to.
little squares and left over bits
Not too bad, eh?

So, I made some four-patches and tried this layout:

sun is behind a cloud

And that layout:
sun came out

I was not super excited about either, so I let it simmer for a few more days.

Decided to take it apart and make more four-patches.  I made a medium sized one with 4.5 and 8.5" squares.  The fabric below was some of the first I bought, back in 2000 ish, when I was 16 years old and could not even afford a skinny quarter.  :P  I think I bought only 1/8 of a yard.

Not my current style, but it is purple.  :)

Then I made a giant four-patch with the original 6"squares in a four-patch paired with 11.5" squares.  I took out the all-polka dot one, so now I have these 3 blocks:

68" ish long!
I missed posting to the March OMG link up.  :(

But I met my (changed) goal and it is still March in my time zone - I'm happy with my progress.

This post will also count as goal setting for April: I am going to applique the squares and put in the zipper and ties I removed from my old duvet.  Linking to Patty at Elm Street Quilts and Rachel's BBQAL.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you made some good explorations and discoveries. Glad your new fabric was inspiring =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good project. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate the extra motivation you give, Patty!

      Delete